I’ve been on a mission ever since we went vegan to find a tofu scramble that my husband would love. And I finally nailed it!
He’s British, so trying to sub tofu for eggs has been a challenge. Especially when you can’t compare the two – they’re not the same. That being said, it doesn’t mean you can’t come up with something equally as delicious. And delicious is exactly how he described this breakfast.
In the past, I’ve always made a tofu scramble on the stove top, but he’s always found it to be to watery. This time I decided to finish it in the oven, which helps to dry it out, change the texture of the tofu and concentrate the flavours.
To maximize this breakfast recipe, I’ve added tons of veggies. Not only do they add a ton of flavour, but they add colour and texture. Take care to saute the onions, peppers and garlic until they soften to maximize their flavour.
Greek Tofu Scramble
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup diced red pepper
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ cup diced tomato
- ¼ cup kalamata olives pitted and sliced
- ½ block tofu crumbled (8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- In a large oven-proof frying pan heat oil, red pepper, onion, garlic and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook and stir until onions soften, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, olives, tofu, nutritional yeast, oregano and ¼ teaspoon salt. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove from the oven, stir in baby spinach until it begins to wilt. Season to taste with lemon juice and pepper.
- For less dishes, use an oven-proof frying pan. Just be careful when removing it from the oven as the handle will be screaming hot. If you don’t have an oven-proof frying pan, just transfer the ingredients to a casserole dish when it’s ready for the oven.
- Serve with toast, sliced avocado, baked beans, or even a simple vinaigrette salad.
- You can crumble tofu with your hands, or you can use a potato masher.
- You can substitute tomatoes or olives for sun dried tomatoes.