This recipe has so few ingredients, but has HUGE flavour. The kind of flavour that warms you like a big huge from Nonna. The creaminess of the slow cooked cauliflower stewed in a rich tomato sauce will have you wanting seconds. And, if that doesn’t grab your attention, then its ease to make will. It’s an Italian recipe that would traditionally be made with cheese, and because parmesan cheese can be replaced with nutritional yeast to give it that salty cheesy flavour, this old school recipe didn’t lose any flavour.
Italian Stewed Cauliflower
- 1 large head cauliflower cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 can whole tomatoes crushed
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add oil and onions; cook stirring often until onions soften and begin to brown, about 7 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and red chili flakes, cook and stir for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, water, nutritional yeast, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Stir to lift up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce heat slightly to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 40 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to sit for 15 minutes to thicken. Season to taste with ½ teaspoon salt, pepper and extra nutritional yeast.
- To crush canned whole tomatoes, place them in a bowl and gently squeeze them with your hands or mash them with a potato masher.
- To add some protein to this recipe, add with the tomatoes 1 can of drained chickpeas or ½ block of mashed tofu.
- You can increase the umami flavour in the recipe by adding chopped black olives or sun dried tomatoes - if you go this route, reduce the salt in the recipe.
- This recipe pairs well with garlic bread, whole wheat couscous or pasta, and salad.