These brownies are easy to make and are the perfect sweet treat. They’re decadent, chewy and sinfully delicious, and they taste just like my favourite vegan ice cream flavour – HÄAGEN–DAZS® salted fudge truffle dairy-free ice cream.
When I bake, I prefer to do so in small batches – I like to make just enough to satisfy my sweet tooth (which isn’t very big). This brownie recipe makes 2 large, 4 medium or 8 small brownies. I use a loaf pan to bake the brownies, the same type of pan you would use to bake banana bread in.
Markaysa’s Small Batch Chewy Fudgy Vegan Brownies
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup vegan dark chocolate chips optional
- Pinch of salt optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Grease the inside of a 8.5 x 4.5” loaf pan with coconut oil or non-stick spray (see tip). Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together ground flaxseed and water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a medium pot, melt coconut oil over low heat then remove from heat and whisk in flaxseed mixture, coconut sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and vanilla until well combined. Add in flour; stir until combined (the mixture will be VERY thick).
- Pour and spread the brownie batter into the prepared loaf pan. Place into the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes (set a timer).
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Wait 1 minute to slightly melt the chips then spread with the back of a spoon, like you’re icing a cake then sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Allow the brownie to completely cool in the pan for 1 - 2 hours before enjoying.
- Ground flax can be found in the baking aisle or health food section in the grocery store. It's a popular egg substitute in vegan baking recipes. Store ground flaxseed in the freezer to keep it from going rancid. It will keep in the freezer for 1 year.
- Most dark chocolate chips are dairy-free and easy to find.
- Be sure to grease the loaf pan well so that the brownie is easy to remove. Alternatively you can line the inside of the pan with parchment paper.