If you’re looking for a delicious flavor topper, this recipe is ah-mazing! Simply blitz the ingredients and sprinkle it onto your favorite salad, pasta, soup, sandwich, pizza or anything else that needs a savory kick – think of this as your plant-based Parmesan cheese recipe.
Although most recipes call for raw cashews as the base, I prefer roasted sunflower seeds mainly because they are cheap, and I always have them on hand.
Plant-Based Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 cup roasted and unsalted sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and mix/pulse until a fine meal is achieved. Store in the refrigerator to keep fresh for several months.
- You can substitute pumpkin seeds or cashews if you don’t have sunflower seeds. And if your only option is salted, just adjust the salt in the recipe. Also, roasted or unroasted will work, though I love roasted.
- If you like heat, add a tiny pinch of cayenne pepper to the mix.
- Nutritional yeast is what adds the cheesy, nutty flavor. You can find it loose at bulk stores or in the health section of your grocery store