Here’s a healthy fresh snack made up of only 4 ingredients (plus a blender). It has a creamy black bean base that’s perked up with salt and lime juice. It works great as a dip for veggies and tortilla chips, or as a spread on a sandwich or quesadilla.
Make the recipe as is, or have fun by adding other flavours like – chipotle peppers, smoked paprika, pickled or fresh jalapeños, cumin powder, a touch of garlic, ½ avocado to make it super creamy, a dollop of your favourite salsa or a dash of hot sauce for heat.
Black Bean Dip
- 1 can 540mL, 19 fl oz. black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lime juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Place black beans, lime juice, water and salt in a food processor or blender. Blend until completely smooth, about 1 minute. Taste and adjust seasoning. Keeps for up to 1 week in the fridge.
- A hand held citrus juicer or reemer is the best way to get every last drop of juice from a lime. If you don’t have one, you can use a fork. Simply cut the lime in half, then insert the fork into the cut side of the lime, then squeeze the lime and twist it around the fork to get all the juice out - do this over a bowl!
- The fresh flavour of lime juice will dissipate over time - if the next day you’re dip needs some perking up, just add a bit more lime juice.
- If you don’t have a blender or food processor, you can use a hand blender.
- If you find the dip too thick, add a tablespoon at a time of more water.